Sometimes it’s all about the journey, and this is one of our finest adventures, taking in the south of Morocco, both desert and Atlantic Coast. It’s an itinerary suited to adventurous travellers who are less concerned with headlining sites and more interested in discovering a corner of Morocco that sees fewer foreign visitors, and when it does, they are of the more adventurous variety! The trip starts in Marrakech and finishes in the fishing village of Mirleft and en route takes you, by 4×4, over the High Atlas Mountains, then following the upper reaches of the longest river in Morocco, across Erg Chegaga – a wilderness of sand dunes, oases and desert plateaux, before joining more of the grand palm oases of the deep south of Morocco en route to the wild beaches of the Atlantic. The journey mixes desert history and culture with nature at its wildest, in a harsh and unforgiving region, and along the way you won’t fail to notice something striking – the supreme hospitality of the Moroccan people, an ingrained characteristic that has risen up from the remote outposts of the desert and forms part of the Moroccan Way . Two of the nights are spent at a luxury desert camp in Erg Chegaga, a chance to relax, walk, ride camels, and soak up the Saharan experience, prior to continuing along wild desert roads to Tata, a remote desert town, and on to Mirleft, a cool and quirky fishing and surf village that offers some of the best wild beaches in Morocco.
– Arrive Marrakech, meet English-speaking driver and transfer to the Marrakech medina for a two night stay on a bed and breakfast basis in a traditional “riad” guesthouse.
-Half day discovery of the city with a guide, or balloon flight or cookery class. Overnight hotel.
– Begin your journey over the High Atlas, down to the celebrated kasbah at Ait Ben Haddou, and overnight in an oasis guesthouse in Agdz, in the heart of the Draa Valley.
– Continue to Erg Chegaga, visiting Zagora and M’Hamid en route, and stay in a desert camp for two nights. Dinner and overnight under the stars.
– Relaxing, hiking, or camel trekking in the area around the camp. All meals are included, and you will stay for a further night at the camp.
– The journey continues across Lake Iriki and the stone plateaux around the frontier town of Foum Zguid and then onto Tata. Overnight in a guest house.
– Continue from Tata to Mirleft, on the Atlantic Coast, and stay for three nights in a guesthouse that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. There are many activities that can be organised in this area
– At lesiure on the coast. Overnight guesthouse.
– At leisure on the coast. Overnight guesthouse.
– Transfer to the airport in Agadir (or Marrakech) for onward travel.
Prices from £1250 per person based on two travelling.
Not quite what you are looking for?
Please note that this itinerary is our suggestion. Please get in touch with us at email@example.com to discuss your exact requirements.